4 x 213gm tins of pink or red salmon
1 ½ cups Panko bread crumbs
1 large egg lightly whisked
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
¾ cup oil for frying
3 tblsp coconut milk
2 tblsp fish sauce
½ tsp shrimp paste
½ tblsp chilli powder
1/3 tsp cumin
¼ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp brown sugar
6 Kaffir lime leaves ( cut into thin strips with scissors)
3 Spring onions
2 cm piece fresh ginger (grated)
3 cloves garlic (grated)
I red chilli, sliced finely
Sweet chilli sauce
- Mix together the salmon, 1 cup of the breadcrumbs, the egg and the pepper in a medium size bowl.
- Mix together the coconut milk, fish sauce, shrimp paste, chilli powder, cumin, ground coriander and brown sugar in a bowl.
- Add to this the lime leaves, green onions, ginger, garlic and chilli and mix in.
- Pour this mixture into the salmon and bread crumb mix and blend well.
- Form the mixture into 9 x 3 inch cakes.
- Press the cakes into the remaining Panko bread crumbs.
- Heat half a cup of the oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat until the oil shimmers.
- Fry in small batches for approximately 4 minutes each side until golden brown. You may need to add the remaining oil to cook the final batch.
- Place the cakes on kitchen paper to drain and serve hot.
- Serve with leaf salad, sweet chilli sauce and mayonnaise with some chilli sauce mixed in.